Monday, June 7, 2010

Drape Drape Drape on the Form Part Deux.


You remember this dress? The one I’m making for a client but love so much I had to have one of my own?







Well guess what?



I made myself one. And I LOVE it.
I’m headed to my brother’s graduation so naturally I NEEDED a new dress (lets temporarily ignore the fact that I have a closet full of dresses I could have worn).



And I didn’t have a lot of time to make one, so I decided this dress would be perfect cause I could make it in a few hours.

 
And I really didn’t want to go buy new fabric and decided I had to use something from my stash. So I turned to my Fabric Log Notebook and started flipping through my swatches until I found this one.







Now this fabric is perfectly nice, and it has a great print, but I don’t really look so good in yellow. It makes me look ill. But this was the only knit fabric I had in my stash and this pattern requires a knit.
So then I ran to my collection of sewing notions to find some die, and it turns out the only color I had was fuchsia. Now fuchsia isn’t really my color either, but I though, “ey, I’ll give it a shot.”


And I ended up with fabric that looked like this.











And I loved it. So I made my dress.







I changed it up a bit.







For one thing I raised the back a bit.







And I made this piping to create a woven pattern. It looks better on me.  Cordelia had a broader back than I do and streaches it out a bit.







And VOLA, beautiful graduation dress.



Happy Dressing
~Melisa and Cordelia

No comments:

Post a Comment