Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Where Has the Summer Gone?!

Hello beautiful blog readers. 
I feel I have been neglecting you, Cordelia and my blog all summer long which makes me feel more than a little guilty.
But, in my defense I have been working on a hundred different things in a hundred different directions which means that soon I should have some exciting things, like a new wedding dress, the share.

But in the mean time I will give you a sneak peak into my life as a Summer Prep Sewing Teacher.

For the last 5 weeks I have been teaching middle school students how to sew and it has been a blast. I absolutely love all my students and everyday I am amazed by their creativity, eagerness to learn and spunky energy.

They have also introduced me to a few swing firsts.
 Take this for example:


In my 20 odd years of sewing and 5 years of teaching sewing I have never once seen anyone sew their fabric to their presser foot.


I still don't quite know how this happened, but this lovely student managed to do the same thing twice.
Good thing she has a serious sense of humor and didn't mind that I may have chuckled at her a bit.
OK I confess.
I laughed.
A lot.
I couldn't help it.
And to be clear, I was laughing with her, not at her.
I'm not one of those terrible mean teachers who make my students feel bad when they make mistakes.
At least I think I'm not.
Right?
I'm one of those sensitive and nurturing teachers who welcomes mistakes because that's how you learn.
At least I think I am.
Right?
Right?


Check back tomorrow for exciting action packed photos of a few of the projects the kids have made!

Happy Sewing
~Melisa & Cordelia




1 comment:

  1. Came across your blog today as I was looking for skirt pattern drafting ideas...thanks for the tutorials you have put together! I cannot wait to use the European turned underlining for one of my fabrics on a skirt. Woohoo!

    ;-) I taught middle school for a couple of years...gotta laugh!

    And...I'm a new follower. Love your humor!

    ReplyDelete