Monday, August 29, 2011

A Cure for Lost Seam Ripper Syndrome.


This weekend I decided I needed a sewing apron. Mostly because I had this really cute fabric with sewing patterns on it that has been sitting around for a while and I needed to do something with it.


But also because I decided it would be nice to have an apron with generous pockets to wear while sewing to hopefully eliminate Lost Seam Ripper Syndrome.

As you can see, the pockets wrap all the way around the apron!



Do you suffer from Lost Seam Ripper Syndrome (LSRS)?

Do you own a dozen seam rippers, yet you can never find one when you need it?
Do you spend at least 5 minutes at a time searching for your seam ripper?
Do your seam rippers always appear in unusual places such as on the floor under your ironing board?

If you answered yes to at least one of the above questions, you may be suffering from Lost Seam Ripper Syndrome.

The good new is, you are not alone and there is hope.
The time to act is now! Ask your sewing instructor about sewing aprons.
Sewing aprons are proven to relieve symptoms of LSRS.
 Sewing Aprons are not intended for everyone. You should not use sewing aprons if you enjoy searching aimlessly for lost seam rippers, are hard of hearing or pregnant.
 Side affects my include increased productivity, reduced frustration, dry mouth and an organized sewing space.

Ask your sewing instructor today if sewing aprons are right for you!

If you decide you will benefit from your very own sewing apron, you can fallow the simple directions below to make your own!

The pattern.

I used a modified version of my wrap skirt pattern. You can find the directions here:
For the front section of the apron, I took a skirt panel pattern and chopped off 5 “ from the hem.



I then moved the grain line, and placed one edge of the pattern to be cut on the fold of the fabric.



To create the back apron pattern, trace the new front panel and cut out.


Use a curved ruler to draw in a pleasing curved edge at the back.



Cut along this line.


You have now created your back pattern piece.
Don't forget to draw in a grain line down the center of the pattern.

To create the pocket pattern pieces, trace the bottom and sides of the back pattern.


Determine how tall you want your pockets to be.  I made mine 10" tall.
Measure and mark this distance from the hem of the pattern all the way across.



When finished you have created the back pocket pattern piece.

Repeat with the front section to create the front pocket pattern piece.
Don't forget to cut the front on the fold!


To create the tie and waistband sections, I cut two strips of fabric 5" wide and as long as the fabric is wide (45" if you are working with most cottons)

Go ahead and cut out the fabric.
When you are done, it should look something like this:


************I forgot to mention, you should cut 2 of each back section!*************

And that's it for now.
Check back tomorrow for instructions on how to sew this thing!

Happy LSRS recovering
~Melisa & Cordelia


3 comments:

  1. Love this!
    Now I feel compelled to admit that I don't own a seam ripper (but I have been meaning to get one for ages) and I have never even seen a curved ruler....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how many seam rippers I have so that says it all right there. LOL....Cute apron and I really do need one. Thanks. I've never made a three piece apron before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I'm bookmarking this.

    Just did a post about aprons myself.

    http://tinyurl.com/3jjpb59

    ReplyDelete