Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat?

Happy Halloween everyone!



 
So this evening I was laying around watching a creepy movie, because that is what you do on Halloween, when I heard a large thud from the other room. I assumed one of the cats was banging around so I ignored the sound and continued watching my movie. After my film was finished, I staggered into my cutting room and noticed an unfamiliar detail on my glass doors leading to the balcony.



I tried to take a picture but due to the night time lighting and an unfortunately placed street light it was difficult to get a good shot.




After closer inspection, it was evident an owl had flown into my window and left an extremely clear impression behind.




Some Native American cultures have strong taboos against owls and believe them to be symbols of evil and death. The Apaches, for example, view the owl as the most feared of all creatures and believe them to be the embodied spirit of Apache dead.


 
After a little research I learned that Russian cultures too believe the bird announces death and disaster.


 
How appropriate this happened on Halloween.

Luckily for me, not all cultures believe the Owl is evil. Many credit it as a symbol of intelligence, brilliance, perceptiveness, intuition, quick-wit, independence, wisdom, protection, mystery and power. It has been said, “if an owl has visited you, an incredible gift has been bestowed.” And that “animals are only called to those who share the same energy.”


 
So is my owl encounter a sign that something terrible will happen to me in my sleep, that I am a wise intelligent person, or merely that my glass doors are a little too clean? I guess only time will tell.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I searched for an owl body but found none, so I suspect that besides a terrible head ache my little owl friend is doing just fine.

Happy Halloween
~Melisa & Cordelia

No comments:

Post a Comment