Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dreams Do Come True Part Deux

Confession:

All my life I have wanted to make myself a white wool coat.
Seriously.
It’s been on my to-do list since I was about 6.
Well that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but just barely.

But there have been many roadblocks in my quest of a white coat.
Mainly I couldn’t find fabric that I absolutely loved—or could afford.
White wool is EXTREMELY expensive.
EXCESSIVELY expensive.
I’m talking $80 or more a yard expensive.
And when you need 3-5 yards for a coat, things get ridiculously pricey.

But then one day light, hope, and inspiration came into my life in the form of a white wool remnant.


So I purchased it.

And I drooled over it.

And I petted it.

And gave it a nick name and talked to it like it was my best friend from elementary school.

And I designed at least half a dozen coats to make from it, and then decided the designs weren’t glamorous enough for this fabulous piece of fabric.

And then I came up with a design that just felt right, but I was too scared to actually cut my beautiful baby, so I made a sample coat.


And then another sample coat.


And then I wore the samples around a bit and decided I approved of the design.

So then a few months ago I manned up and cut my beautiful fabric.
It was a joy to do.
Except that cutting heavy wool is a serious chore.
And cutting a whole coats worth is an even more serious chore.
 And I got blisters on my thumb from my scissors.
Tear :( 
It’s such a rough life we lead here at Hart Designs.
ROUGH I tell ya.

And then I worked on my coat a little bit here, and a little bit there, and then finally, after a long haul this weekend, I finished my dream coat.

And it looks a little something like this:








Wait









For











It.

Are you ready to see it?


Are you sure?


Wouldn’t you rather see pictures of my cats?






I knew you would.

That Oadie is one cutie.


Ok, Ok. Back to the jacket.

Here you go.





The buttons were made by a local potter.


I lined it with silk that is absolutely YUMMY!



Until Next Time
~Melisa & Cordelia
















No comments:

Post a Comment