Wednesday, January 5, 2011

ETA Challenge--Meet the Fabric

You may recall that I mentioned I had agreed to participate in a sewing challenge to be held at the ETA, Education of the Textile Arts (don’t worry I had to Google what ETA stood for too), conference in Dallas this February.

In the unlikely event that you have forgotten them, here are the challenge parameters.

I am headed to a (hypothetical) beach wedding and I need an outfit to wear to
 A. An afternoon rehearsal brunch (since when is brunch afternoon?!?!)
B. A late afternoon wedding on the beach and,
C. A morning breakfast with out-of-town guest and the same hotel where the wedding is.


I have to make 3 outfits and I have to remember the fallowing rules:

1. one item must be reversible.
2. one garment must be visibly worn at all three events.
3. I have to use patterns by the sponsoring independent pattern companies.
4. All outfits must fit in a carry on bag.

And finally

I have been supplied with 5 fabrics and I must use some of all of them (and I’m not allowed to use other fabrics except for linings and such.)

So let’s start this design journey by taking a look at the fabrics.

I received a black slinky knit.


A Floral Poly crepe





This cream poly/rayon blend which as good stretch



This teal raw silk



And this:



It’s lace so I should love it,



And it’s tie-died-ish so I should like that.

But for some reason this fabric just does nothing for me.
What to do with it?!?!?!
This has been the stuff of my night mares lately.
True story.
Just last night I woke up in a cold sweat because I had dreamt I was wearing a poufy dress made of this stuff. And, to make the dress even more attractive, I had added puff sleeves (think Ann of Green Gables the move puffed sleeves) and a huge bow on my butt.

It was terrible. Please kick me if I ever even think of making anything so hideous.

Check back tomorrow and I’ll show you my first garment. It’s an important one cause it fulfills two of the rules!

Happy Challenging
~Melisa & Cordelia

No comments:

Post a Comment